Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jaye He India!! 60 Years of Independance

On August 15th India celebrated 60 years of independence from British rule, and Woodstock School celebrated along with them. Wearing my fancy new tailor made Indian garb, Kurta pajamas and Nehru vest I gathered with the Woodstock staff and students to raise the flag and sing the Indian national anthem. Well OK try to sing the Indian national anthem, of course we sang it in Hindi, which I haven't quite mastered yet (OK well not even close). After the celebration we ajoured to the quad where numerous Indian culinary delights where being served by vendors from the local town. Such yummies as dosas, roti, and kebabs, and of course chai(tea). However this time it was served in handmade clay cup in traditional Indian style. You are supposed to toss the cups when you are done but I chose to keep mine as a souvenir. For the rest of the day I helped with the employee lunch. On Independence Day all of the employees (support staff-kitchen help, sweepers, peons(yes, this is their title), chukars, coolies, etc.). Basically the people who make this place run are given the day off to enjoy with their families. We (the rest of the staff) serve them and their families lunch, as much as they can eat. And man did they eat. It was a world wind event of over 400 people served in 3 settings. I felt good giving back to the people who truly make this place run as smoothly as it does.

Monsoon is still in full swing, however, we did get a wonderful respite today. Waking up to beautiful sunny shine and blue skies. On the walk to school I had to stop a few times to bask in the early morning rays. You never know, it could be a while before I see that beautiful, life giving orb of hydrogen again. Well everyone, take care. Keep the comments coming I love them.

5 comments:

Mikeg said...

That outfit looks great on you. Any chance I can get one sent back or do I need to come get my own? ;-)

Keep up the great reports!

Unknown said...

Nice look for you G! Are those chacos you're wearing with the traditional garb?

M. Stacy said...

Oh golly gosh, Mr. G looks quite dapper . Real smooth look for you my man. Sounds like you are really enjoying the experience.

LindaG said...

Hey! Great outfit. I love all the photos. Looks like a great location. Mom pointed me to your blog and I'll be watching for updates. Maybe we'll actually meet at some point in the future when we're both in the same city.

Jules :) said...

Pajamas for a celebration...hmm that's a culture I could adopt! Lookin' snazzy g-money. Sounds like a great adventure! Mikey passed me the blog link...looking forward to reading more! Ecuador reunion in India before your time is over there??? ;)