Sunday, August 19, 2007

Freedom in the hills!!!!

Today I borrowed a friends scooter and took off on a mini road trip. Despite cloudy, misty and foggy weather I braved the crazy mountain roads, Tata trucks, and the occasional cow and got out into the surrounding mountains. No spectacular pictures to speak of, that will have to wait until the clouds clear. But it was great to get out of the sometimes stifling hillside community that is Woodstock and see some of the Indian countryside. I cannot wait to get my own set of wheels so I can set off on a Friday afternoon with my camping gear and explore the amazing mountains and communities spread out in this region of India. The potential is limitless, the scale of the mountains and valleys here are spectacular. I was giddy with anticipation as I rounded each curve in the steep mountain road. I came across a group of guys fixing a landslide that took out part of the road, they were very excited to get their picture taken and rushed to the camera to see themselves once I took the shot. After that it was off to the chai shop for a spot of tea and aloo masala chapati (a scrumptious flat bread with potatoes and masala spices). Then back home in thick fog and rain. Sorry for the lack of pictures but I was just so excited to be out and about that I neglected to stop for many shots. Believe me when I get my own bike and monsoon ends you will be with me on all of my countryside adventures, of which there will be many.

2 comments:

Mikeg said...

I can't wait to see all of the pics from the adventures!

TinaS said...

Looks like you're ready to start that "Boy Band" you've always dreamed about!