Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I Made It!!! What a long strange trip...

I arrived in Delhi on July 21st at 2:30am, 4 hours later than our scheduled arrival. This delayed arrival time can be attributed to 2 different 2 hour delays while sitting on the runway in NYC and London. Making an already long 16 hour flight even longer. Never the less we arrived in the crazy Delhi airport to find that one of my bags never made it (it finally came yesterday, 1.5 weeks later). Finally made it to the hotel at 4:00ish to find out that jetlag is a bitch. Please don't think I am complaining, lets just say I am venting a bit. Spent a day in Delhi, crazy traffic, tons of people, and HUMID. Not to bad for a Tennessean, but I felt for my new Canadian co-workers and friends. A day later we hopped an Indian train for Dehra Dun, the largest metropolitan area to my new home of Mussoorie. After that is was a crazy hour drive 30km and 4400' up into the mountains to Mussoorie. By crazy I mean a narrow road built into the side of the Himalayan mountains, with more switchbacks than you can count, random cows, and EVERYONE trying to beat their neighbor up or down the mountain. You gotta see it to believe it. Upon arrival in Mussoorie the monsoon was in full swing, amazing mountains vistas obscured by thick, billowing clouds. Once in a while the clouds break to offer those limited yet still amazing mountain vistas I was referring to. While these views are a fraction of what we will be seeing once the monsoon subsides, they are still inspiring and a wonderful reminder of the natural beauty that abounds in this part of the world. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Katie said...

That's so great! I can't wait to experience it for myself! I love the picture of you at the train station!