Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Time for Silent Reflection

I have always wanted to learn to meditate, the ability to focus your thoughts on some worthy goal or purpose seems very appealing. Since I was a child my mind has raced a million miles a second; mental noise, thoughts, feelings, intuitions, worries all swirling around in one jumbled mess. Don't get me wrong, it has served me well and got me successfully to this point in my life. Needless to say, I have no serious complaints. But to be able to block out the mental noise and focus my thoughts towards one goal is a skill I would love to obtain. Like juggling, I feel like I will never get there. But guess what, I learned to juggle, I think I can learn to successfully meditate. Little did I know I have been meditating for many years, just a different kind of meditation. Meditation is when your mind is focused completely on one thing, from this very deep thinking we enter into an intuitive state of thought. While kayaking a class V river or barreling downhill at 35 mph on a mountain bike the only way to survive is to think intuitively.

I want to experience this is my everyday life. When thinking stops and intuitive experience takes over, this is meditation. These moments are where the deepest moments of revelation and intuition are born, and we reveal our real self. It is a slow process but I am determined to get there. With all the things in my life, both good and bad, if I can center and focus my thoughts I feel it will make me a better, happier person. Wish me luck!

My place for silent reflection, on the cliffs above Woodstock School (self-portrait, thanks tripod!)

3 comments:

Mikeg said...

Keep me posted on how it goes. Meditation is something that I have struggled with for a while now and finding out what worked for you would be another good tool.

Have you started a yoga practice since you've been over there?

Katie said...

You are great. You are right about finding meditation in the things you do, especially in the outdoors. That's when you are most connected with your intuitive mind. I bet you can find some great guided meditations too, that help center you. Try focusing on nothing but your breathing. That's a good one! Great picture too!

Unknown said...

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better view/place to practice meditation. At the very least you'll be more rested and relaxed!