Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Cross Country Day = OUCH!!!!!!

Have you ever raced a 5k at 7000' of elevation? Me either, until today!!!! And all I can say is that it sucks. Today was the umpteenth annual cross country day at Woodstock School. It was not compulsory for staff to run but I figured to gain a little street cred I would participate. Not only that, it gains point for my "house" the defending champion Merlins (extra credit if you know what a Merlin is, hint it is not a guy who wears a pointy hat and casts spells). Of course I had to run with the big dogs, the 11th and 12th grade boys, lets hear it Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Our course was five kilometer from the school gate up to Flag Hill (aprox. 2.5K, 90% uphill) and then past the school gate to a turn around, then back to the school gate 5k in total. Let me tell you it was an asskicker!!!!!! I have only run once since coming here and a few time early this summer to get that beach body on. So I was pretty out of shape. BUT, drum roll please. I still finished 8th overall out of 38 runners. I beat all but 3 students (staff do not get a places only students). The old men (staff) got 5 of the top 8 places. I have not run a foot race like that since junior high school. It hurts, but you know it kind of gives you a natural high pushing your body that hard. But I don't want to repeat it too soon.

5 comments:

Mikeg said...

You have to love the interent...is it a bird...a falcon to be exact?

Mikeg said...

And yes...I know internet is spelled internet. :-)

Chris G said...

Actually Internet is spelled Internet, come on you should know that.

M. Stacy said...

How about the kids? Are they interesting? Or are they like the stereotypical foreign exchange college student in the U.S.?

Being a teacher I am waiting for a comparison between the student body of Woodstock and Soddy-Daisy High. I have some ideas but would love to hear to from the G's mouth.

Unknown said...

Merlin... I thought of the fish first. Assume Mike was correct?

As for 5K and uphill both ways with no shoes on, seriously though good for you.

Last time for me was JP Morgan Chase one in Chicago a few years ago... oof!