Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Have Bike, Will Travel

That's right, I got a bike!!!! 81 Royal Enfield Bullet. Kinda old I know, but I figured it has been running this long so I thought I would give it a go. Not only that is was only 18,000 rupees!!About $450, not bad huh?
My buddy Dilip rides a Royal Enfield so I asked him if he might know where to find a nice used one. His mechanic Kalu just so happens to fix up old Enfields and sells them. So I went down to Dehra Dun today to look at a few. A few turned into one but the price was right so I made a deal. Dilip rode the bike and insisted Kalu give it a tune up before I rode off with it. So for 1000 rups more I got a complete tune up. My concern was that they would not get it done before dark, I did not want to ride the hour back up the crazy road from hell in the dark on a new to me motorcycle. They insisted no problem, I would be out of there by 5:00. Well I guess they were on India time cause I rode out at 6:45, it was dark as can be. Not only was it dark but it was rush hour in Dehra Dun talk about crazy drives, it was nuts. I got out unscathed, almost. An auto rickshaw ran over my toes, surprised me more than it hurt, it was kinda funny actually. As I was about to ride up the mountain another motorcyclist rode up beside me to ask if I was going to Mussoorie, of course I said yes. We stopped for a minute exchanged names and then took off up the mountain. It was pretty sketchy, but would have been 10 times worse without my buddy. Yes Katie! Yes Mother! I will be very careful, I promise ;) Better pics of bike to come.
My Indian pit crew, they did a ton of work on the bike in a few hours.

This kid is affectionately known as Robert. Must be 12 but he ripped apart the rear wheel on the bike changed the brakes, greased and installed new bearning like a pro.

4 comments:

Mikeg said...

I love how they sit without chairs!

Ride safe, have fun!

Unknown said...

Enjoy and as Mike said be safe. Any way to outfit headlights of some kind?

Mom and I were just talking about this last night. Glad to hear you have your own wheels to see the country more.

I thought about getting a scooter here but its just an island...

Tangent said...

Nice! That is so cool about Robert. I of course am going to try to bum a few rides! Oh, no wonder the race didn't take so long!

Katie said...

Yes. Please be careful! I can't wait to be taken on rides down the crazy roads! Soon enough.