Monday, March 17, 2008

Flying Buddhist Land

Finally something to be excited about, the long awaited and much needed quarter break. Here at Woodstock they think that 4 days in long enough of a break between the quarters. I tend to disagree but I don't make those decisions, I just have to live with them. So I am going on what could be an epic journey. Destination Bir (pronounced beer)one of the best paragliding sites in the world this time of the year. Also a place that I told myself I HAD to go to while in India. The 4 days thing is kinda a bummer because it is a 12 hour overnight bus ride to get there and back. Seriously cutting into my vacation/flying time, but I have to do it. Bir is in a place called Himachel Pradesh, directly to the west of Uttarkhand (the state I live in). One cool thing about flying there is that it is 45 km as the crow (or paraglider) flies to Dharamsala the exiled seat of the Tibetan government and the home of the Dali Lama since 1959. I have heard on a good day it is an easy flight to Dharamsala and people fly their paragliders there regularly and land in town to spend the night, I'm going to give it a try. Here is an excellent article about flying in Bir by another pilot named Jeff Cristol, if you have some spare time give it a read, good stuff.

http://www.adventuretourproductions.com/articles/indianorth.htm

Ok that is all for now, I will be back in a week with stories.

2 comments:

Bill Kinzie said...

Have a wunnerful time! Checked out the link you recommended. Be careful, but part of the adventure is trusting yourself to the rig, your skill, and the thermals. Looking forward to your pics and blogs on your return!

Katie said...

Have fun and be safe!