Sunday, November 18, 2007

I WANT TURKEY!!!

Not much fun, new or interesting been going on lately. We are all just trying to get the semester wrapped up, in less than 4 weeks I will be done for the semester and off on another amazing adventure, you have to stay tuned to find out what that adventure is. Anyway, I will try to squeeze out a half way interesting blog. I don't want to lose my wonderful audience. Without you guys I would be sad! So lets hear some more comments, show me some love!!

Happy Holidays to my friends and family in the U.S. I envy you, do you know that. For many reasons actually, but today I envy you because in 4 days you will be consuming all the delightful culinary treasures that come with the celebration of Thanksgiving. Lucky Dogs!!!! Obviously Thanksgiving is not celebrated in India, however, I work with enough people from the U.S. who might like to partake is a Thanksgiving celebration. Except, I think Turkey is hard if not impossible to come by here in India, I guess chicken will have to do. Speaking of foodstuff I've been missing. As an avid carnivore, 4 months without a morsel of beef leaves one with cravings. Obviously beef is impossible to get in this part of India, cows are sacred and all. However, there is a beef substitute that is fair game in this part of India, water buffalo!!I bought myself 2 kg of buffalo meat yesterday. I proceeded to make myself a pot roast, came out alright, a bit tough but very beef like.

I love to learn new skills that can benefit me now or later in life. Because this place is boring and I have lots of free time on my hands I have been engaging in many things that I have always wanted to do or learn. Earlier this semester I learned to throw pottery (thats what they call it). You know put some clay on a wheel, spin it around and make a bowl or something. So far I have made 2 bowls, a cup and a plate. They were fired a few weeks ago, they are ugly as hell but they are mine. They looked a lot better unglazed, the glazing is the hard part.
I also just recently started doing origami. Rather than sit at my desk and surf the Internet while bored at night I needed a hobby that engaged my mind and hands. I have always thought it was so cool when someone whipped out a piece of paper and folded it into a swan or something, so I got a book form the library and started it up. I can now make a box with a lid, a butterfly, a leaf and a flower from memory, and I almost have perfected the butterfly ring. I even made a nice decorative box for a friends b-day present. Her husband said no gifts, but they bought me something nice for my b-day so I have to break the rules. How nice and practical is that, a little box with a butterfly on it. Sweet huh? I am going to make a good wife someday ;) Anyway, here are a few of my creations.






One place I feel my new skill will be very appreciated is in the small villages around here. When you visit a village the children are absolutely enthralled by these different looking people. Depending on their age they might have never even seen a white dude before. I like giving them something, they have so little so even a balloon gives them a happiness that is so pure and true, it is hard to explain. You just have to see their eyes, then you would know what I am talking about. But this new found skill gives me the ability to create something right in front of them that they will love and appreciate. I can't wait to see their reactions as I create a butterfly, or flower for them.

Hope everyone is well!!! Eat some turkey for me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"they are ugly as hell but they are mine."
Amazing how one values things made with their own hands no matter how simple. The "Japanese paper folding" is very cool especially when you used the different color paper!

As for Turkey day I am missing it as well by a few days. Am sure I could obtain here because of all the expats. I get back to Chicago this Sunday for my 2.5 month stint staying just off Lake Shore Drive :| Will try to keep up the reading/comments but might take me a week or two to get back into the swing of things.

*Cheers*

Mikeg said...

Keep up the great work Chris! I agree with Craig on the value of things that we make no matter how "ugly" we think they are. We are so conditioned to look outside ourselves for happiness. It is amazing to find out that there is so many good things inside of us just waiting to come out.

Chris, I thought about your handiwork the other day as I was conditioning the cutting board that you made for me a couple of years back. Thank you again.

I love how all three of us are following our dreams and how happy I am that Mom now has access to all of us via the Internet.

Keep up the great writing. You bring great joy to my day every time there is a new posting, no matter how "uninteresting" they may be!

Chris G said...

Thanks Bros!!! Kind words much appriciated!

M. Stacy said...

Wow..pottery and paper folding. Be careful or you might get crushed by a falling Milwaukee's Best can. Seriously, good to hear you are getting more in touch with you creative side. I guess no poker games or wild women to keep you entertained means you have to entertain yourself with your own hands these days.
Scott is having a dinner at the new house. Mark is in Ohio, Tina is in Illinois. I am in Chattanooga, eating a block of cheese and watching football in my sweats.
I'll have a Turkey Leg for you.

Unknown said...

One thing is for sure, Chris - you're definitely checking off a number of items on life's to-do list. Everyone wants to learn origami; paper boats and hats don't count!

Based on my experience in the Philippines, I can relate with you on seeing pure delight in children who have to rely on their creativity for fun instead of yearning for the latest Tickle Me Elmo toy. Enjoyment that is simply sparked by pieces of coloured paper sounds like true happiness. :)

PS - Missed Thanksgiving as well. Work sched changed last minute and I had to pass on Thanksgiving dinner! :(