Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I Am Thankful!!

This time of the year we are reminded that we have many things in our lives to be thankful for. Truthfully, being thankful on Thanksgiving was a fleeting thought between gorging myself on delicious food. I have never completely realized this until recently, and I feel ashamed for this realization. I think as people of comfort and good fortune (yes, everyone of you has a comfortable and fortunate life) we forget how fortunate and blessed we truly are to live the lives we do. It is easy to forget that much of the world lives with much less comfort and fortune (not just monetary) than we do. I am not pointing fingers, I am as much to blame as anyone else. Until we take ourselves out of our comfort zone can we truly reflect on how good we have it. I self-inflicted a trip outside my comfort zone this past July when I left for India. And I can truly say, in retrospect, that I am lucky to be born Christopher Alan Gehard. This realization is two fold. First, because my life has been wonderful up to this point and I miss many things from my life in the western world. Family, friends, loved ones, the touch of a beautiful loving woman, foods; my list could go on. The band Cinderella said it best "You don't know what ya got till it's gone..." insert cheesy hair metal riff. Second, I have seen everyday how many of the inhabitants of this world live, believe me it is not comfortable from a westerners point of view. While they don't know any different, so to them it is not an especially uncomfortable life. But put a westerner in their place and 98% of the time that person would not be happy. I guess the bottom line is I am thankful for everything I have in my life, and I vow to never take it for granted again.


Now I want to lighten things up a little and tell you what I am thankful for...

Family
I have the best most loving family there is. Parents who have supported me through all of my crazy adventures, schemes and ideas. Brothers, who I look up to for their wonderful and inspiring lives. And everyone else who has touched my life in a loving way.

Friends and loved ones, old and new. I truly have some of the greatest friends in this world. You know who you are. I love you guys, without you this world would be a lonely, boring place. I miss you all!!!



My health, I have enjoyed a life mostly free of bad health (knock on wood)!

This amazing world full of wonder and all the joy it has brought me over the years.

I could continue my list all night but I have bored you long enough. Thanks for listening to me. I love you all. Have a great Thanksgiving, be thankful today, cause you have so much to be thankful for.

3 comments:

Mikeg said...

Chris,

A truly amazing and heartfelt post...in my opinion the best one to date.

I too feel truly blessed for all of the reasons that you have stated and many, many more. It is so easy for us to focus on what we don't have here in the West but I have made a conscious effort to change that. Yes it is hard (why I don't understand) but it is worth it.

Thank you for the inspiration that you have brought to my life as well. Even though we haven't been all that close, you have had a profound impact on my life.

Hold strong brother and enjoy the ride! I miss you and look forward to the next time that our paths cross.

M. Stacy said...

you continue to surprise.....quoting Cinderella, throwing pots and Origami. We are waiting for your next epiphany.
Your post reminded me about the speech I give my students when they tell me how hard it is to be a teenager. I inform them they hit the lottery when they were born an American and that many illegal immigrants die each day trying to have a shot at something they take for granted each day.
I made this realization while traveling in Costa Rica and seeing how happy the third world people are in their daily lives.
I believe the standard of living and what it takes for us to be "happy and successful" in America is so high the attainment of this goal can be mystifying for many.

Happy Thanksgiving buddy...you will grow far beyond anywhere you thought possible when you left. We all would do well to gain this level of consciousness. Few are willing to make the commitment to do so. Kudos to you.

Unknown said...

You sir are one down to Earth fellow, never change that bit about you.
Always enjoy your posts and this one is so very fitting for the time.

I was also lucky to have such good parents, you and Mike as role models, and such a loving and world opening fiancee.

Take care in knowing that everyone in your life is thankful for you as well!