Sunday, October 14, 2007

New Digs, Monkeys, and the Winterline

Not much new and exciting to report, at least nothing to rival my previous post about my amazing trip. Hope it wasn't too long and drawn out, I could have written for hours about it.

Well I have finally escape the jail cell of a room I was living in and moved on up. I now live in my own, newly renovated SINGLE apartment. It is a drastic improvement, I love it! Lots of wood/stone work and tons more character than the last place. It has a bukari too (woodstove)!! Here are some pics, please excuse the mess. I just hired an ayiah (maid, kinda) she starts Tuesday. All in all the place is really nice I am enjoying myself in my new place.

Outside: Mine is the furthest away, in the shade.

Inside: From the front door looking into the loft desk area.Inside: Standing up in the desk area, Bedroom, and down into living room and kitchen.

Here is a shot of one of the Langur Monkeys that cruise through all the time, aren't they cute? These are the nice monkeys; the Rhesus Monkeys suck, they even look mean and ornery. I don't have any pics of those. They don't deserve to be blogged anyway, little bastards.


This last pic is of a atmospheric phenomenon called the Winterline. It is a thermal inversion in the valley that holds the dust, pollution and crud of the valley down below the level of the mountains surrounding. Because we are above the level of the inversion we look down onto it. This creates a false horizon which the sun sets behind. So for most of the winter we do not see the sun set behind the actual horizon line. Kinda weird, huh? It makes for really neat, drawn out, sky illuminating sunsets. It just started up a week or so ago, a month earlier than it normally starts so the locals have been saying. Also, it has been rising (getting higher) every year. Not exactly sure the environmental implications of this but lets blame it on global warming, call Al Gore!!!!!! The pic isn't the greatest but the winterline is that straight line that looks like a false horizon, you might have to squint.

This pic is actually taken from my new porch. I will try to get a better pic and post it.

1 comment:

Mikeg said...

It's like the Jeffersons...movin' on up to deluxe apartment in the sky... ;-)